Mediation is one Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) tool that couples are encouraged to try before beginning the litigation process. Meditation can help you resolve many very important issues, particularly during divorce. You may be wondering whether mediation will work for your unique situation. Johnson Mediation offers comprehensive divorce mediation services in Minnesota and can walk you through the process before you begin so that you can decide for sure whether you think it will work for you.
Mediation most often works when the following components are in place:
- Both parties understand the role of the mediator: The mediator you hire will not be a decision maker for your case. A mediator is a neutral third party who helps facilitate a discussion between the two parties with the goal of the two parties finding a solution. You and your ex will be empowered to find resolution on issues such as division of property, child custody and child support that works best for your entire family.
- Be open to compromise and working toward a solution: Coming to the table with an open mind and being willing to compromise with your ex will give you the best chance of success using mediation. The mediation process often reduces the overall conflict present, while litigation increases it. However, this only works if you are ready to solve problems.
- Gather the necessary documents: Preparation is key for mediation to go smoothly. Generally, in your first meeting with your mediator, you will be told what documentation you need in order to resolve the major issues in your case. Making this information available in a timely manner goes a long way toward a successful process.
- Be respectful and patient and look past your anger: Mediation involves accepting change and moving past your anger toward a solution for the good of your family. Mediation offers time for both parties to accept change so that you can all move forward toward your future.
- You trust your mediator: It is important for both you and your ex to trust your mediator in order for the process to be successful. Very often, mediators will offer a free consultation as you are deciding to move forward. This can be an excellent time to ask questions and get to know your potential mediator.
Minnesota Divorce Mediation Services
If you have decided to move forward with a divorce in Minnesota, Johnson Mediation is here to help. Our team has extensive experience with mediated divorce. We understand how complicated and emotionally taxing divorce can be and we can help you navigate the process with less financial and emotional stress. Call Johnson Mediation at 952-401-7599 for more information.