Mediation is a highly effective and efficient process for settling many difficult issues, including the terms of a divorce. In fact, the Minnesota courts now require couples to attempt an alternative dispute resolution technique (mediation is considered an ADR) before pursuing litigation. The mediation process is fairly simple and straightforward, costs less than a court battle. Mediation allows you and your soon to be ex-spouse to work together to make decisions about your future so that communication after your divorce is easier and healthier. Johnson Mediation is a Chanhassen, MN Mediator that can help you navigate the entire divorce process, from start to finish. Here is an idea of what you can expect.
The Mediation Process
- The participants in the mediation process can expect to schedule a series of mediation sessions. These sessions are generally 2 hours long and can occur over the course of 6-12 weeks. You can expect to need 3-4 sessions to settle the terms of a typical divorce.
- You and your spouse work with the mediator early in the process to identify the issues that need to be discussed and resolved. Based on these priority areas, you can determine what type of information needs to be gathered and brought to future sessions. This may be financial information, information about childcare, healthcare and estimates of home value or value of joint possessions.
- The process of setting your priorities will also help determine whether you need to invite outside experts to one or more of the mediation sessions. This might be an attorney, appraiser, or an accountant.
- The mediator serves as a neutral, third party and will guide you through discussion based on the topics that need to be resolved. Typically, your mediator can help you resolve issues such as division of property, child custody (also known as a parenting plan) and spouse/child support. The mediator can provide information about the court system and ways that issues are often resolved, but will not be the decider in your case.
- Once the issues have been resolved, your mediator will document the agreements for review and can help you file them with the court if needed.
Divorce Mediation Services in Chanhassen, MN
Johnson Mediation understands that divorce is difficult, and we work to make the process as simple and stress free as possible. If you have questions about the mediation process or would like to speak to a member of our staff about what you might expect, call us today at 952-401-7599.