Only you and your spouse can truly decide if your marriage is over. Couples make the difficult decision to divorce for many different reasons and no one can truly tell you whether your marriage is really over but you. Deciding to divorce is a major life decision that impacts every member of your family so it should not be taken lightly. Divorce is a choice – and staying together is as well. You have the power to make that choice and it is important that you spend time thinking about all of the consequences for separating and staying together. If you have been considering divorce, here are some questions to ask yourself to help you determine if you have reached the end of your marriage.
1. Do you feel at peace when you think about separating from your partner?
2. Do you feel close to your spouse?
3. Are the majority of your interactions with your spouse negative or filled with conflict?
4. Have you or your partner changed since you got married?
5. Are you happy? Can you see yourself being happy with your spouse in the future?
6. Do you avoid spending time with your spouse?
7. Do you find yourself seeking other close relationships?
8. Do you live more like roommates than intimate partners?
Deciding Between Divorce Mediation Or Divorce Litigation
If you find that you are ready to move forward with your divorce, you have 2 main options for navigating the process. The traditional litigation process involves lawyers and the court system and can take several months (if not longer in some cases) to complete. Mediation does not require you to hire a lawyer and can be completed within 6-8 weeks. Mediation is less expensive than litigation and often is less emotionally taxing as well. Mediation gives you the power to make the decisions about how to settle issues like division of your joint property, how to share custody of your children and whether you need to put child or spousal support into place.
Experienced Divorce Mediator In MN
If you have made the decision that you think that your marriage is over, contact the team at Johnson Mediation. We can guide you through the divorce process in a clear and concise way. We will answer your questions and provide you with the support, information, and our mediators will work to build trust so that you can be confident that the process will be successful. For more information, call us at 952-401-7599.