Mediation is becoming a very popular way to settle the terms of a divorce. In fact, the courts are now strongly encouraging all couples to try mediation first, before moving forward with litigation (traditional court process). This trend is not soon to change as mediation has many benefits, including taking less time (and money) than litigation. Johnson Mediation is a mediation firm that can help you through the divorce process from start to finish using mediation. One of the most common questions we receive about the mediation process is about how long it should take. Here are some things to help guide you on a timeline:
1. Rather than waiting for the court schedule, your lawyers’ schedule and your schedules to align, mediation can be scheduled much more quickly and without delay. Mediation can be handled in person or virtually which can also help move the process along.
2. You should expect to schedule 3-4 mediation sessions to settle the terms of your divorce including dividing your joint property, managing child custody and determining if spousal or child support is necessary. Each mediation session will last approximately 2 hours each.
3. Each mediation session should be scheduled several weeks apart so that you can gather necessary information and complete any follow-up items. This means that mediation can be complete in several months if the case is fairly straightforward. The more complex the issues, the longer it will take.
4. Litigation can take between 6-12 months to complete and is often accompanied with more conflict and financial burden. Mediation takes a fraction of the time and costs significantly less than litigation.
5. The other benefit of mediation is that if you try it and it does not work, you can still proceed through the courts. But the vast majority of divorces can be settled with mediation.
Timeline For Divorce Mediation Services
Every single divorce is unique so while we cannot make promises about the exact timeline of your divorce, we can tell you that mediation allows you to move on with the rest of your life more quickly. Johnson Mediation specializes in virtual or in-person mediation services for those living in Minnesota and Wisconsin. We can provide you with the tools, guidance and resources to help you make decisions that will put your family first and that will not deplete your financial resources. If you would like to learn more about the many benefits of divorce mediation, give us a call at 952-401-7599 to set up a time for a consultation.