Many of us have heard the commonly cited divorce statistic that nearly 50% of all marriages end in divorce. If you are heading into a divorce, this statistic does not capture the raw emotion, the pain and the difficulty related to this decision and the process itself. Fortunately, many couples are finding that divorce mediation is a fair and effective way to settle important decisions without a long, expensive court battle. In fact, the Minnesota Court often requires divorcing couples to use divorce mediation services when have issues. If you work or live in Chanhassen, Minnesota it is strongly suggested you contact Johnson Mediation at 952-401-7599.
Divorce mediation has many advantages that can actually reduce the overall stress of a divorce including:
- Less expensive: Litigation will cost anywhere between two to ten times more than divorce mediation. This can mean the difference between a $4000 total bill and a divorce bill that is more than $15,000. Divorce can be an extremely stressful process in large part because of the big financial impact. Mediation saves you and your family money as well as (and perhaps as important as) emotional cost.
- Faster resolution: You can expect divorce mediation to take three to four 2-hour mediation sessions over the course of 6-8 weeks. Every divorce is unique, so this can vary from one situation to another. A court battle can take many months.
- Reduces conflict: Litigation by definition creates a win/lose dynamic between the two parties involved. On the other hand, mediation encourages cooperation and compromise to solve problems and can actually reduce overall conflict between you and your divorcing spouse.
- Confidential: Mediation sessions occur with three people in the room (unless you would like other experts to weigh in) – you, your divorcing spouse and a trained mediator. As a result, the process is entirely confidential and you do not have to worry about communicating in front of an entire court.
- Encourages open communication after divorce: Particularly if you share children, the divorce process is just the beginning of a new phase of your relationship. Successfully co-parenting after divorce is critical to your family and how you all adjust to life after divorce. Mediation lays a strong foundation for co-parenting, showing your children that you and your spouse can work together for their sake. Mediation can also continue to be used when issues come up after a divorce is final.
Minnesota Divorce Mediation Services
Johnson Mediation specializes in offering comprehensive divorce mediation services and can help you navigate this process from start to finish. Our team takes a family focused approach to your divorce so that all members of your family can move forward in a healthy way. For more information or to schedule a time to meet the Johnson Mediation team, call 952-401-7599.