Most difficult things are hard from beginning to end. Divorce certainly follows that logic. There is nothing easy about divorce. It is difficult on every member of the family financially, emotionally and can cause conflict, anger, distress and great sadness. The decision to divorce often takes a significant amount of time to make. For some couples this is directly related to the perceived difficulty of the divorce process. Johnson Mediation offers support for the divorce process. You do not have to manage it on your own. While we cannot make it “easy”, our staff can minimize the financial impact on your family, reduce overall conflict between parties and allow you to move forward with your life more quickly. Here are five steps you can do right now to begin the divorce process:
1. Decide the process you want to follow to settle your divorce: The Minnesota court system actually strongly recommends that couples attempt mediation before going through the traditional litigation process. Mediation offers many benefits, including that it will save you time and money, is entirely confidential and can be completed quickly.
2. Organize your financial documents: One thing that is required in a divorce is a financial settlement. This means that you will need to divide your assets, your joint property and even your debt. Taking time to get your financial documents in order now will help you move through the divorce process more quickly.
3. Define your priorities: Taking time to think about the things that are most important to you can help when it comes to negotiating during mediation or litigation.
4. Understand basics of Minnesota divorce law: There are a couple of things about Minnesota law that are very helpful to understand as you begin the divorce process. First, Minnesota is a no-fault state, so you do not have to have to prove that your spouse did anything wrong in order to divorce. In addition, you do not have to legally separate before you divorce in Minnesota.
5. Get Support: You will need support from family, friends, co-workers and professionals as you navigate the divorce process. It is wise to connect with your support network as soon as possible.
Minnesota Divorce Mediation
Johnson Mediation can help guide you through the divorce process from start to finish. We offer divorce mediation services, as well as divorce coaching and parenting support services. We understand the details of Minnesota law and can help you think through each step in a way that will work best for you. For more information about our divorce support services, give us a call at 952-401-7599.